NABET-CWA LOCAL 31
Executive Board Meeting
Monday, January 8, 2007
Location: NABET-CWA Local 31 Office
Time: Meeting called to order at 6:41 pm
Presiding: Carl Mayers, President
Present: Jim Lee, Vice President
Dave Parr, Treasurer
Maurice Thomas, III, Secretary
Richard Guastadisegni, WJLA/NewsChannel 8
Stephen Johnson, HRS
Jim Martin, ABC
Richard McDermott, NBC/WRC
Michael Queen, NBC
Stu Rushfield, NPR
2007-01-01 MOTION MADE to accept the minutes of the December 2006 Executive Board, as amended.
MAKER: Guastadisegni SECOND: Rushfield MOTION PASSED
1. Plans for 2007: Looking forward to the new year. We expect to make real progress.
2. NPR Meeting: Good dialog with management to anticipate problems and resolve them before they become grievances.
3. New Assistant at ABC: Roger Williams will be the new Assistant, replacing Moe Thomas.
4. Shop Stewards: We need more shop stewards in every shop. We need to recruit and train, as well as do more internal organizing.
5. Gordon Davis -WJLA: We need to review insurance coverages for our members.
6. Training Coordinator Stipend: This was discussed and will be put on the Agenda for the February, 2007 meeting under Old Business.
7. LM2 Report: The report is ready to be filed, but has been delayed due to the need for electronic signatures.
8. Training Plans: There are plenty of training activities scheduled for the near future. Safety, AVID, computers, etc.
9. Daily Hire Benefits/Life Insurance: They should have a real benefit at a reasonable cost. We need to investigate the possibilities.
10. Reinstatement of Executive Board Stipend: The $40 stipend will be reinstated immediately for all Executive Board members attending an Executive Board meeting who are not on approved union leave. This stipend will not apply to officers of the Local.
1. Financial Report: Below are the accounts that were considerably higher or lower than the normal budgeted amount.
4000-01 and 4000-02: Non Checkoff Dues and Initiation Fees: The total non checkoff dues and initiation fees are $5,337.56 over the monthly $4,700.00 budgeted amount. Initiation fees were $6,133.24 for the month.
4001-04: Total rebate: The $69,115.58 is $10,615.58 is over the monthly $58,500.00 monthly budgeted amount. We finally received all of the outstanding NPR dues.
The Local’s December income of $79,153.14 was $12,453.14 over the monthly budgeted amount of $66,700.00.
5002: ABC: Even with negotiations going on at ABC the Local was $2,225.42 under the monthly budgeted amount.
5018-01: NABET Portion (401K): NABET’S portion was high for the month. This is due to the fact that December’s payment is based on November’s payroll which consisted of three pay periods.
5021: Misc Mailing Expenses: This account is showing a negative for the month due to the fact that Mark Peach paid his expenses for the Officers extra mailings. The total mailing expense is $1,721.99 under the monthly budgeted amount.
5022: Rent: This account is $944.19 over the monthly budgeted amount of $5,030.00. This was due to the fact that the local had some retro rent going back to August 2006 and an increase in the monthly operating expenses.
5025-01: Purchase Computers: This account is $708.00 above the monthly budgeted amount of $250.00. The computer shut down and the Local needed to purchase new drives.
5027-01: Coun/Buchan A Audit: Is $6,550.00 over the monthly budgeted amount of $1,000.00.
The Local was $2,780.32 under the monthly budgeted amount of $67,303.50 for total expenses. The net income for the month after expenses was $14,629.96.
2007-01-02 MOTION MADE to accept the Treasurer’s Report.
MAKER: Thomas SECOND: Guastadisegni MOTION PASSED
2. New Members: Applications for new members were reviewed.
2007-01-03 MOTION MADE to accept the following applicants: Paul Gramaglia, Tabitha L. Keys and Douglas Wayne Perkins (T#42) all daily hires working at NBC.[Question ?]
MAKER: Gusty SECOND: Queen MOTION PASSED
3. CWA Annual Fund Raising Drives
a. Edwardo Diaz Union-to-Union International Solidarity Fund.
2007-01-04 MOTION MADE to donate $.10 per member to the Edwardo Diaz Union-to-Union International Solidarity Fund.
MAKER: Lee SECOND: Martin MOTION PASSED
b. Pediatric Aids Foundation.
2007-01-05 MOTION MADE to contribute $1 per member to the Pediatric Aids Foundation.
MAKER: Lee SECOND: Johnson MOTION PASSED
1. Thank you card from Sue Fitzgerald to the Executive Board for the Holiday Gift.
2. Letter requesting from Dwight Brown (freelance) for assistance from the Sick Members Fund.
2007-01-06 MOTION MADE to appropriate $500 from the Sick Members Fund to Dwight Brown.
MAKER: Queen SECOND: Martin MOTION PASSED
3. MUMS is installed and working and updated.
1. No Work List (3.2): As listed for the benefit of officers and stewards.
2. New member packets: Membership packages sent to the following:
ABC: Steven Autrey & Paul Thomason
MCT: Elias Agritellis & Jung Hu Lee
NBC: Michael Cook
NPR: Stephen Belter & Sean Phillips
WJLA:Leonard Brady & Jevan Alves
3. Union Leave Report:
January 2007 - 7 days + ½ hour
ABC: 6 days 1/8- Executive Board - Parr, Thomas
1/17 - Meeting with Mahoney - Parr
1/24, 25, 28 - Negotiations - Thomas
NBC: 1 day 1/8- Executive Board - Queen
NPR: ½ hour 1/8- Executive Board - Rushfield
4. Request for Donation: CWA Locals 3204 and 9421 have requested donations. These requests will be sent to all locations for posting.
OLD BUSINESS - None
1. Date of next Executive Board Meeting: The next meeting will be held on Monday, February 12, 2007, beginning at 6:30 pm.
2. Determination of Composition and Number of Executive Board Members (cf. By-Law 3.31 (1)).: It is the sense of the Executive Board that the current composition of the Board shall remain in its current form and number. This includes one staff
representative from each bargaining unit, a freelance representative, and continue a
seat for a CNN representative.
3. ABC Affairs: Negotiations will be starting soon in Tyson’s Corner. Moe Thomas will be traveling to San Diego for meetings later this month in preparation for the meetings with the company beginning in February. We will be paying for a Daily Hire representative at the table. The new Control Room is still in the works, but is not online as yet. Roger Williams was appointed the new Assistant to the President for ABC Affairs.
4. Freelance Affairs: The daily hire community would like better health and life benefits.
5. HRS Affairs: The unit expressed their appreciation to the leadership of Local 31, the Sector and CWA for their support this year.
6. MCT Affairs: Contract ratification ballots will be counted on Tuesday (1/9/07).
7. SRS Affairs: With this new Congress, we are hopeful that negotiations can get back on track soon.
8. NBC Affairs: NBC continues its cost cutting. A number of our members have been offered buyouts. Members are in the process of deciding whether to accept the offers. All of our NABET personnel have done an outstanding job during this very busy news period.
9. NPR Affairs: NABET and NPR held a joint meeting, facilitated by Kurt Saunders of the Federal Mediation & Conciliation Service in December. At the meeting’s conclusion, both parties agreed to try a new form of negotiating and reconciliation, called “interest-based problem solving.” The first meeting of a NPR/NABET steering committee is scheduled for January 10, 2007. As a result of this agreement, all outstanding NABET issues will be addressed by either the temporary Committee, or by its designate. The use of this new format will not preclude NABET from utilizing grievance and arbitration procedures when necessary.
Last month, it was reported that a member received discipline for performance issues, and the company based part of its justification for skipping a step in progressive discipline on a portion of a policy manual that has not been published or distributed uniformly since 1997. Since then, NPR has agreed to abolish its use of the old policy manual, and is writing a new series of policies which will be published on the Company’s internal website. NPR has provided NABET with a copy of the first draft, and the BRT Stewards are reviewing the material. The appropriateness of the discipline is still under discussion.
NPR has completed the hiring of four new Broadcast/Recording Technicians at the DC headquarters in compliance with the Contract. All four have begun training. One of the four, Melissa Marquis, was approved as a Local 31 member at the December meeting. Membership for the other new hires is pending.
10. PBS Affairs: There are new negotiations coming up.
11. TVS/CNN Affairs: The case will come to trial in the next year.
12. WHUT Affairs: We're looking for a replacement EB member there.
13. WJLA Affairs: Contract was ratified. Signed in the near future.
14. WMAL Affairs: The ABC/Citadel deal has been moved back to March ’07 or later.
15. WRC Affairs: Rumors were turning into reality for a few Nabet Personnel at WRC. The current people that will be retiring/going are: Chris Crosswhite and Ron Minor.
Three Air Talents have left….Arch Campbell, Susan Kidd and IJ Hudson.
Arch will be showing up on Channel 7 (WJLA).
Two New satellite trucks for WRC have appeared on property. One truck is leaking water badly and will be returning to Florida.
Field Crews are soon going to be using strap-on hard drives for cameras and Laptops for editing in the field and no “real” training has been provided, other than a laptop thrown on the “Field Shop” table.
Most of the WRC Personnel have been off and on vacation for the month of December. No really new info other than the Buy-outs.
2007-01-10 MOTION Made: to adjourn.
MAKER: Rushfield MOTION PASSED
Meeting adjourned at 9.30 PM
Maurice Thomas, III